Saturday, August 31, 2013

One Day by David Nicholls

One Day  by David Nicholls
Published by: Vintage Contemporaries

The authors summary:
"It's 1988 and Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley have only just met. But after only one day together, they cannot stop thinking about one another. Over twenty years, snapshots of that relationship are revealed on the same day - July 15th- of each year. Dex and Em face squabbles and fights, hopes and missed opportunities, laughter and tears. And as the true meaning of this one crucial day is revealed, they must come to grips with the nature of love and life itself."


My opinion:
When a movie comes out that is based on a book, I won't watch the movie until I've read the book (I'm sure a lot of you page turners are like that, also hints my current read Beautiful Creatures). I didn't thoroughly enjoy this book or the movie, for that matter (both have me talking in a slight British accent though). The first couple chapters of the book were slow and dragging, then, once I finally got the hang of only seeing Em and Dex on July 15th, it picked up. Then it slowed back down, then it picked up, then it slowed down, then it picked back up... I think you see the point. Then, finally, it climaxed (what I took as the climax at least) and there were still almost 4 chapters left! Granted, I HATE when books build up, build up, build up, just to summarize the whole plot in the final chapter, or even worse, an epilogue. Can we find a happy medium?

Although the book wasn't a quick read, or one I couldn't sleep without finishing, I did enjoy the story line. Em and Dex, Dex and Em, fighting their separate battles seemingly together.

I liked Em's character the most. Pretentious, self-conscious, and normal. She was definitely the most relatable. The kind of character you find yourself rooting for and giving advice to, "No don't do that!," or, "I hope she's not going where I think she's going."
Dex was different. He was pompous, arrogant, and annoying. I found myself asking him why a lot. ( and yes I talk to the characters.)
The movie, more or less, was a disaster. I often wonder why authors allow their books to be made into movies when there's no way it can possibly harness all the emotion and tension that was in 435 pages. Roland hadn't read the book and found it boring and all over the place, if I hadn't read the book I would have been confused as well. There was a year we didn't even see Emma, and one year all you saw was Dex standing in a window. I always say the book is better than the movie, but in this instance, they were both lacking.

So after all the to-do and hype, I would not read this book again. And I don't think I would suggest to anyone either.

'Till next time!
-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment