Friday, September 6, 2013

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

   
Beautiful Creatures
Written By: Kami Garci and Margaret Stohl
Published by: Little, Brown, and Company


Authors Summary:
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten south, a secret cannot                                        stay hidden forever.

 Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
               In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.
Ethan and Lena are drawn together by something neither one of them can explain at first. As everything starts to come to light and the plot thickens, everyone they've trusted starts to deceive them. Even though it's for they're own good, they feel like it's them against the world. Well, in this case world'S, both Ethan's and Lena's.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I love that Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl are such detailed writers. Most writers are pretty good at describing their characters, but I really felt like Garcia and Stohl put you there with Ethan and Lena. Which, in my opinion, is what a good book should do.

I liked the characters, they were creative, funny, and unique. But you could imagine them being your family. There were a lot of them though, sometimes it was hard to keep up, I read a name and had to go back to see if I had read that name before and forgot about him or if I was supposed to not know who it was.

Also, and this is my #1 pet peeve, there were grammatical errors. In a professionally published book that has been turned into a movie. At some point, you think one of the professionals would have caught it. I couldn't imagine what I would do if I had spent months writing/correcting/finishing a book, just to go back a find a grammatical error..
-Step off soap box-

Other than that I was very pleased with this book, and would definitely be a recommended read.
Also, Roland refuses to watch this movie after the One Day bust. So, I'll be watching it with my friend tonight, and let you know how it compares!

Have you read it? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment